“Read me a book, mommy” my toddler demanded, “I want the Barney ABC”. The book he was referring to was Barney's alphabet soup. As Barney put in Apple, Banana, Carrot, Doughnut, Egg …. in his soup I remembered the mouthwatering ABC halwa my friend had made.
I went and bought Apples, Bananas and Carrots to recreate this healthy halwa my way. Here's to my friend, for an innovative healthy ABC halwa.
Eat good, be healthy! Enjoy.........
- 2 cups finely shredded carrot
- 2 cups finely shredded apple
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 2 small pinches of salt
- 1 cup condensed milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- Handful of cashew nut pieces
- Handful of raisins
Following ingredients are available in local Indian stores.
- 1 cup ghee/clarified butter – You can make ghee at home by boiling butter until it appears clear and then turns golden brown in color
- 2 cups crumbled khova/mawa – Condensed milk solids found in the refrigerated section. You can substitute with milk powder available in regular grocery stores.
How To Make:
Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan and sauté the carrot on medium heat. When it starts to soften up, add apple. When apple starts to soften up, add the mashed banana. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes until the carrot, apple and banana are mixed well. Add the sugar, salt, cardamom powder and mix well again. Add the crumbled khava and condensed milk and simmer the mixture on low heat until most of the liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle cashews and raisins.
- This is a healthy dessert and relatively low in sugar. Stays well in the refrigerator for about a week. You can make the regular carrot halwa similarly.
- May need to add additional sugar depending on your taste preference.