Hello friends! Hope you had a wonderful Diwali. May the festival of lights bring you peace and happiness.
I had a nice weekend with friends and lots of good (read heavy) food. So, as you can imagine, begins my guilt trip. Sure, I can starve myself for a couple of days, wear out the treadmill and get back in shape. But I don’t think my family is ready to put up with my crabbiness in the meanwhile.
The solution..….a very tasty but healthful Barley & Garbanzo salad.
Things You’ll Need
· Cooked barley (3 cups)
· Garbanzo beans (1 can)
· 1 Red bell pepper, finely chopped
· ½ Red onion, finely chopped
· 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
· 1 medium tomato, chopped
· ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
· Salt (to taste)
· Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
· Olive oil (1/8 cup)
· Lime juice (2 small limes)
How To Make
Drain the garbanzo beans from the can and wash them well. In a large bowl, toss all the ingredients. Drizzle with the olive oil and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 4 people.
1) Cook the barley in a pressure cooker with minimum amount of water. Alternately, use a slow cooker
2) For a variation, use kidney beans or a mix of garbanzo and kidney beans
3) Make extra salad and refrigerate in an air-tight container. Stays well for 3 to 4 days. The more it marinates, the tastier it gets.
Make it a meal
Serve with a warm pita bread drizzled with garlic butter and mango shake.
Till next Monday, ciao and happy eating! Be sure to share your experiences, recipes, tips and tricks via comments on this page.
|< Prev||Next >|